Keywords: renewable energy region, 100% renewable energy self sufficiency region, Province of Jaén, renewable energy in Province of Jaén (Spain).
Jaén is a province of southern Spain, in the eastern part of the autonomous community of Andalusia (Figure 1). It is bordered by the province of Ciudad Real, Albacete, Granada, and Córdoba. Its capital is Jaén city. Jaén Province has an area of 13,484 km2. The population in 2003 was 657,387 inhabitants. One-sixth of the population live in the capital. This province consists of 97 municipalities. It is one of the large producers of olive oil in the world. The production is 60% of the total Spanish production of olive oil.
Figure 1. Province of Jaén in Spain
Renewable Energy in Jaén Province
There are currently some numbers of renewable energy plants in the Province of Jaén:
- Wind: it is one of 29 wind parks in Andalusia. The total capacity of 29 wind parks is 442.8 MW and produces 1,000,000 MWh electricity/year. Typical installation size is 0.8 - 2MW.
- Wood Biomass: the plant has an installed power of 4.21 MW. It belongs to TRADEMA S.A. The biomass comes from wood residues. It is used in the manufacturing of agglomerated planks/panels.
- A pilot of biogas and energy plant: this plant is located in Puente Génave. The plant would be used for biogas generation using two stage olive pomace (main source of biomass in Andalusia). Large scale exploitation has been delayed for two years and its operation is foreseen for 2007.
- Photovoltaic: there is 200 kWp of photovoltaic installation in the campus of the University of Jaén.
- Solar collector: in 2004 there were 700,805 m2 of low temperature flat collector. It is used for heating.
- Small hydropower plants: the total number of the plants is 14 with the total power of 50 MW.
Upcoming Plan of Renewable Energy Installation
In the year 2010, there will be a biogas plant with the installed power of 5MW. This plant will be located in the province of Jaén. The plant will be used to produce biogas of two stage olive pomace, the main source of biomass in Andalusia. Also in the same year, there is a plant from EERR to provide 4,900,805 m2 of low temperature flat collector for heating.
Agener (Agencia de Gestion Energética de la Provincia de Jaén)
It is a public company owned 100% by the Provincial Council of Jaén. Agener was established in 1998 within the SAVE program as a non-profit association. The main function is to offer services about the promotion of rational use of energy and renewable energy sources within the Province of Jaén. From the beginning until the middle of 2006 the Provincial Council of Jaén was the basic supporter of the Agency. In 2004, the Programme of Local Subsidies was launched by the Andalusian Regional Energy Agency to develop and promote the use of photovoltaic energy in the region. The agency provided up to 40% of the funding. The project 21 installations have been initiated throughout the province, representing a total of 1.698 kWp. By devising this unique model, AGENER has pioneered a system that allows it to act as a catalyst in promoting the deployment of PV solutions. The success of the installations has allowed the Agency to grow in standing and credibility among its target groups and it has helped Agency to meet its fixed costs. Today, 25% of AGENER’s financing comes from the Provincial Council, with a 20% comes from the Regional Council of Jaen. The income from the photovoltaic systems and subsidies accounts for some 20% of AGENER’s income. Other incomes streams include income from the services the agency offers to enterprises, which accounts for 15% of agency income, and a 10% is derived from both European projects and training.
Biomass - Energy from Olive Pomace
The olive grove in Andalusian region is an artificial forest which has a surface about 300 x 60 km2. The olive grove in Jaén are:
- 110,000 producers
- 650,000 hectares
- 165 million olive trees
- 2.5 million tons of olive (4,200 kg/ha)
- 6.5 million tons of olive pruning residues
- 325 olive mills
- 530,000 tons of olive oil
- 12 pomace oil extraction plants
- 1.9 million tons of olive pomace
- 650,000 tons of exhausted pomace
- 25% of olive oil world production
The main use is for thermal heating in domestic boiler (houses, swimming pools, elderly people homes, schools), cool systems by absorption, district heating and cooling. As woodchips or pits, it has a high price (180 €/tons), depends on the ash content.
District Heating and Cooling Systems
- location: Scientific and Technologic Park GEOLIT
- surface: 33,000 m2 (4 km of pipes)
- power: 6 MW (heating) and 6 MW (cooling)
- biomass: pits (1,800 tons/year)
- investment: 5 million € (45% of subsidies from regional government)
- AGENER share: 1.5%
- electric power: 16 MW
- main biomass: exhausted olive pomace
- technology: steam boiler multi-fuels
- annual biomass consumption: 120,000 tons
- investment: 24 million €
- incentive to RES production: 14 cent €/kWh
- optional dryer system: cogeneration with natural gas
- promoters: big companies with biomass suppliers or owners of extraction power plant
- Bioenergy from olive oil. http://www.renewableenergyfocus.com/view/7438/bioenergy-from-olive-oil/. Accessed May 6, 2010.
- Official Homepage of District Heating and Cooling System in Geolit. http://www.geolit.es/. Accessed May 16, 2010.
List of References
- Province of Jaén (Spain). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Province_of_Ja%C3%A9n_%28Spain%29. Accessed May 6, 2010.
- Map. http://www.property-net-spain.com/images/960-3.png. Accessed May16, 2010.
- Jaen Province. http://www.property-net-jaen.com/zones/jaen-province.gif. Accessed May 6, 2010.
- “Small hydropower in the province of Jaén (Spain): base of local sustainable development”. http://www.esha.be/fileadmin/esha_files/documents/workshops/hidroenergia/EP_2_Herrera_1_of_4.pdf. Accessed November 7, 2009.
- The Use of Olive Pomace to Produce Energy: Opportunities and Experiences in the Mediterranean - Experiences in the Province of Jaén. http://www.moreintelligentenergy.eu/public/file/AGENER_Jos%C3%A9%20La%20Cal.pdf. Accessed May 6, 2010.
- Your Agency as a Catalyst and Project Enabler: Good Practice from AGENER, Jaen Energy, Andalusia. http://www.managenergy.net/download/management/GP%20Profile-AGENER-PV%20Installations-V06-FINAL.pdf. Accessed May 6, 2010.
- Andalusia, Spain - Technology Map: Electricity Energy from Renewable Energy Sources (RES.-E). http://www.res-regions.info/fileadmin/res_e_regions/SODEAN_CONECTED_TECHNOLOGY_MAP_INGLES_8_june_2005_en.pdf. Accessed May 6, 2010.
- Results of an experimental study of a solar cooling system in Jaén using single effect lithium bromide absorption chiller. http://www.icrepq.com/icrepq%2710/522-Gomez.pdf. Accessed May 6, 2010.